Thursday 6 September 2007

The Calm before the Storm Part II

Despite what the local area thinks about this week being a major headache for anyone in a 50 mile radius, it's turned out to be not that bad. On Sunday, Alex said that despite what he said previously about it going to be a busy week, it looked like it was going to be a busy few days. Starting today.

I'll prove how quiet it's been this week, I still managed to get my two days off. If it had been busier, I had previously been asked to work an extra shift. Turns out, I wasn't needed as the site was fairly dead.

As Archie has his day off on a Thursday, I've been put on with someone else. Someone who talks more nonsense than Archie (believe me, that's quite a feat.). Someone who was once caught on duty sitting outside Reception, on a deckchair with a mug of coffee in his hands by the previous manager. Yes, I've been put on with the ex-night warden. He's not called the ex-night warden for nothing, you know.

Last night was fairly good, I only had to speak to a couple of punters about the excessive noise. I also spotted a couple of tents (obviously together) who had a proper barbecue and three or four bags of logs, kindling and wood chips. A quick check of the barbecue revealed that they hadn't burnt any of it yet, so I mentioned it to Alex during the handover this morning.

I'm not going to say that it's going to be a quiet night tonight, because I know that this will be false. From around 7.15am this morning, punters started arriving to book in, by the time I left at 8, there was a queue of around half a dozen cars and motor homes waiting in the lane outside Reception.

When I was speaking to Alex, one of the Receptionist's came through and showed Alex a booking-in slip and said, "There are seven guys, adults, wanting to book in." Alex took one look at her and with a face that screamed "NO! Not on my park!" he said, "OK." Then he asked her how she was doing for sets of site rules. She went away to check and just as I was leaving the back door, she came back through and said she had run out.

I get the distinct feeling that Alex won't be getting a decent nights sleep tonight.

No comments: