Friday 25 April 2008

Fire in the hole!

Campfires and anyone caught burning anything other than charcoal, will be facing a visit from yours truly. So, can anyone explain to me why I had to visit three tents last night, who were all burning wood? The coincidence on this occasion was that all three were in the same field within yards of each other. It proclaims quite clearly in the site rules, of which everyone is given when they book in, that campfires are prohibited.

I noticed the first one, mainly due to its size, as soon as I had left the comfort of the office. I didn't want to go directly there, as this is usually when people become very defensive. So I decided to go the "scenic" route. This way I'd be able to sneak up on them from behind and appear from the shadows and catch them off-guard. I've found that this is the most effective way, as most people are unprepared for anyone appearing from behind their tent and usually comply with any instructions they are given.

As I approached, I could tell by the scent that the punters were burning tree-branches. I asked the male to put the fire out and that wood fires were prohibited on the site. He seemed genuinely apologetic, but this was down to the fact he had been caught off-guard. As I stood there, ensuring that he put the fire out, his wife/girlfriend/partner decided to shoot me a few dirty looks. All of which were ignored. I felt something brush past my leg and heard panting, blindly I put my hand down and petted the dog which was at my side. As I looked down, I noticed the animal wasn't on a leash, the male was then asked a further question, "Is this your dog?" to which the affirmative was replied, I then asked him to put it on a leash. He apologised, again, and did so. It was only when he called the dog over to him and it was in the light of the tent, that I realised I had been blindly petting a rottweiler.

The second group, were huddled under a tarpaulin with a charcoal barbeque with added branches. I approached them from the side, almost getting attacked by a tree in the process, and asked them to put out the fire. I briefly explained the rules regarding fires, which went unnoticed, and was told by the male that he had found the branches 'over there'. On a campsite, more specifically my site, there is no shortage of trees. So pointing out to me which tree you stripped, is of no relevance to myself. They reluctantly put out the fire and I walked off.

I hadn't walked much more than ten feet or so, when I came across a small stone fireplace, still smouldering, in the car park. As there was no one near it, I decided to use the conveniently placed bottle of water to extinguish the remains of the fire. From the contents of the fireplace, it appears they were burning paper or a similar material. This is, again, on the list of 'Things which shouldn't be used on the site.' As I walked off, a male exited the toilet block and made his way towards me, we exchanged pleasantries and I continued on my way. When I got to the bottom of the field, I turned around. The male who had exited the toilets as I was putting the remains of the fire out, was surveying the scene, before getting into his tent. It would appear that this punter was the firestarter.

Aside from that, the rest of the night passed very quickly with nothing of note happening. I read, and finished, an entire book, it was that quiet.

4 comments:

cogidubnus said...

As a one-time regular camper I'm appalled at what these people get up to...leaving aside a (perhaps understandable on holiday) slightly loud return from the local pub, there seems little or no consideration for the peace and wellbeing of their neighbours...and the huge dangers inherent in mixing fire with (waterproofed) canvas surely to god go without saying?

James (UK) said...

Do you think that these people are "newbies" to the World of camping? Or even "first timers?".

It reminds me of why I stopped going fishing; I got sick of the huge amounts of kids or teenagers that would turn up, make one Hell of a noise, and basically do no fishing whatsoever, but instead lark about or burn everything in sight for 12 hours / days on end.

Al said...

I don't see the attraction of fishing myself, seems incredibly boring to me.

Anyway, on topic, I suspect that these people are the sort that think that the rules apply to everyone else but not them. I certainly encounter that sort of person on a regular basis and they probably go on holiday sometime!

Night Warden said...

It seems that everyone on my site at the moment thinks the rules apply to everyone else and not them.

It's just a pain when I have to report them and they get evicted from the site and they ask why.