Saturday 12 April 2008

Normal Service Resumed

It seemed like I wasn't going to get back into the normal routine for another few weeks, but as last night proved, I was very wrong. Last night was one of those nights which made me remember all the good things from last year, as last night was officially the night which set into concrete, that I am in charge.

As I was walking around the site, on my preliminary check, I noticed a large group of punters making their way back to their tents. It wasn't the number that drew my attention to them; it was the fact that they were making a lot of noise. I stood behind their tents, far enough away to hear every spoken word, yet close enough to make my presence clear. They did notice me and the drunken "sssh"'s started. I left them to it, as I had the rest of the site to check.

Because they had distracted me from my preliminary check, I was late getting back to reception. When I checked the time, I had to about-turn and go lock up. After I had locked everything, I made my way back to the large group and noticed they were still up and about, and making a lot of noise. I intervened in my usual fashion and asked them to quieten down. They apologised, believe me this is a rare occurrence in itself, and I went over to speak to another large group.

I walked around the site again and had to wake someone up who had fallen asleep with their radio on. I asked them to turn it off, which they did, and I continued on my way. I did notice what I believed to be a male heading into the female toilet block, so I walked over and opened the door and my original sense was confirmed. There was a male in the female toilet block.

"Right you, out."
"Oh, sorry."

As the male was walking out, I pointed to the picture on the door which confirmed that this entrance was for female punters only.

"See that? Female."
"I did notice that."
"You noticed it and still went in?"
"Yyyyyyyyeah..."
"OK"

I left him to it at that point, as I realised any further conversation was, more than likely, going to confuse him further.

I returned to check on the large group to ensure they were quiet and were heading off to their beds. When I got there, I couldn't have been further from the truth. They were heading to their beds, but hadn't quite grasped the concept of complete silence which is required. One tent in particular was more boisterous than the others.

"This is your second warning. If I have to come back here again, you will all be leaving. (pause) Tonight."

I reckon that all the tents in the group heard me, as a deathly silence fell upon that particular area. Sadly though, I didn't return to throw all ten of them off.

2 comments:

Al said...

Ah, power is excellent.

Have you had to throw anybody off yet this year or have they all eventually behaved themselves?

By the way, what do you find to do all night? I could be wrong but I imagine after a certain time the vast majortity are asleep and give no trouble?

James (UK) said...

Yes, I'd be interested to know if you're a "reader" or more of a music person. Audio books were always my thing to while away an hour or seven.