Saturday 4 July 2009

Implicit simplicity

It's been a rather dry few days, weather wise and also when it comes to things to blog about. There have been a number of small incidents which have occurred since the last time I wrote in this blog, but we'll come to that later.

It was a dry, calm and peaceful night on the park and nobody was making any noise, so I decided to stretch my legs a little and took a walk down towards the main road, a short distance away from the main entrance. Whilst I was at the main road, I heard a vehicle approaching, so I walked slowly back to the gates. I hadn't managed more than a few feet before the car was by my side.

"Can we get in?" enquired the passenger.
"Sorry, you're about an hour late." said I.
"Oh. So where do we park then?"
I looked at the several neatly parked cars at the main entrance, as they too had come back late and couldn't get back in, then I turned my head back towards the vehicle. I said nothing, as I didn't think it was deserved.
"So can we just park up in front of the gate then?" asked the passenger.
"No. You can park alongside the other parked vehicles." I said, slowly, "Unlike last night when you came back late and just opened the gates and drove onto the park."

The occupants said nothing to my remark, although I knew that it was them, as did they. I didn't think people were that stupid. The following morning I spoke to the head receptionist and thanked her and her team of reception staff for weeding out the trouble-makers and stopping them from booking in and asked if it was remotely possible that she could also weed out the simpletons too.

"Yes, but then you'd have an empty park."


She does have a point, I guess.

I apologise for the short post, but I'm working on a much larger and funnier one as you read this.

3 comments:

James (UK) said...

Good to see your latest post, as we'd all been eagerly awaiting it.

I think I can only add a "People, eh?" to this post. You'll never win with 'em.

cogidubnus said...

Nice one mate...thanks for posting...

James (UK) said...

Just seen this, and started downloading it in the newsgroups;

/QUOTE

"The Willows
by Algernon Blackwood
Read by Roger Allam

A new, unabridged reading for BBC7.

128/44; 112 MB total; sound quality excellent
transcoded from Private Walker's VBR post

29 March 2005
01 When the narrator and his companion camp on a remote island, they think they see a body in the water and a man calling to them.

30 March 2005
02 The narrator decides that the willow trees are against their presence on the island. The friends' canoe and paddle are damaged.

1 April 2005
03 The companions prepare for their second night, and the inevitable attack from the island's hostile, unseen forces.

2 April 2005
04 When the Swede suggests the necessity of offering a sacrifice, the friends escape during the night, among the willow bushes.

Attachment decoded: Blackwood - The Willows - info.txt
=yend size=768 part=1 pcrc32=90f469c9

"


/ENDQUOTE

Any interest? I've got the first two parts today, with the poster sending the rest over the next day or two. Be happy to upload it to my web space so you can grab it. Thought the camping interest would appeal?

Regards