Sunday 22 July 2007

A Long Shift

Normally I don't mind working on a Saturday night, especially when the previous evening was so quiet that only one taxi came back the entire shift. OK, so we had a few taxi's back fairly early on, but the night just seemed to take forever to pass.

Even at eleven o'clock the entire site was peaceful. Except for the crowd of foreign bikers, who had to be told four times by Archie to 'shut up.' It was only when I interjected and gave them my ultimatum, that they decided to call it a night and go to bed.

Two tents could not differentiate between 'off' and 'turned down', which resulted in myself almost confiscating their TVs and radios. Fortunately, they got the picture and went to bed also.

Archie did come up to me at one stage to point out that we had a thief on the site. Sadly though, this was no big-time bank raider, but someone who pitched up close to the serviced pitch and decided to steal electricity. I checked their ticket and found no notes on it to suggest that they had paid the extra for the electric they were stealing. They were still up, which gave me even greater joy in pulling the plug on them. The tent quickly descended into darkness and all went quiet. One of the party came out to see what had happened, only to find me standing at the entrance to his tent with the electric cable in my hand.

"What's happening?"
"You're stealing electricity."
"But we paid for it. . ."
"No. You haven't, have you?"
"I'll pay it at Reception in the morning. Can you plug it back in please?"
"No."
"OK"
"If I come back and this cable has been plugged back into the service board, I'll unplug it again and render the cable warranty void."
"Sorry about that. . ."

I checked on them later and the cable was exactly where I had left it. A report was submitted to Reception in the morning.

About the two males who were causing a disturbance in the previous post, I spoke to Alex and he told me an interesting story about them.

The morning after the incident, Alex had decided to spend an extra hour in bed and when he came in, he checked the new bookings list for the day. Surprise, surprise, the two males had booked in for another night and had gone out for the day. He instructed the day shift to keep an eye out for anyone near the tent in question and if anyone was spotted near it, he was to be informed immediately.

By 9pm, no one had seen anyone near the tent and Alex's suspicious mind was working on overdrive. Then suddenly, a radio call came in from the Day Warden to say that two males matching the description were at the tent. Alex went round to have a quiet word with them and explained to them, in graphic detail, how much he did not want them on his site. They were asked to leave, either by their own mode of transport or in the back of the local Police van.

They took their own car.

It's a Sunday night, they're pretty quiet (touch wood) so I would like to apologise in advance if tomorrow's post doesn't seem all that exciting.

No comments: