Tuesday 25 September 2007

Long Nights


The nights are certainly getting longer. Well, maybe it seems that way at the moment as the punters I've had for the past few nights have had that special ability to do what regular punters cannot achieve. This crowd can read the park rules and abide by them. It's amazing, I know and I was a little shocked to only have to tell one tent to quieten down last night.

As the nights are getting quieter now, I've had the chance to catch up on some light reading. Last night I finished 'Blood, Sweat and Tea' a book which is a compilation of blog postings from this blog. It is an interesting read, if you like that sort of thing.

On another, unrelated, note. There is one punter which is causing Alex a great deal of confusion and worry. I have spoken to him on one occasion (but I didn't realise it was this male that Alex was talking about at the time) and he seemed reasonable enough, even though he was ill-informed about the subject he was discussing with me at the time.

He arrived a few days ago and booked in. After booking in, he asked the receptionist on duty if someone could set up his tent for him. She spoke to Alex and he, in turn, spoke to the male. He was wheezing badly, as though he was at death's door, and saying that he had recently had major surgery. Now, call me cynical, but if you're recovering from major surgery, you don't disappear off and go camping. Do you?

Alex summoned one of the day wardens to help the male set up his tent. It was only when the day warden reported back that Alex's suspicions became increasingly alarmed. The male had asked the night warden to set up his tent for him. The tent was brand new and still in the packaging. It was a child's play-tent.

Now this male is over six foot tall and quite thickset, so how he manages to squeeze such a large frame into such a small tent is beyond the realms of possibility. But he manages it every night.

Last night, Alex's suspicions were aroused again by this gentleman, when he came into the shop and asked to purchase eight cans of cider. I'll refer you back to the first paragraph where I mentioned he had recently had major surgery. If this was indeed the case, I'm pretty certain he would be on some form of antibiotics and would not be drinking 8 cans of cider. The shop assistant alerted Alex and he told her to only sell him four cans. The four cans were duly sold to the male, along with a groundsheet (one of the more expensive ones available in the shop) and a few other items.

He mentioned this to me and asked if I could keep an eye on him to ensure that he wasn't going to be a problem. I was also given strict instructions to call Alex immediately if I had to speak to the male in question. Thankfully, he slept like a baby and didn't wake up the entire night.

He's here for a few more nights, so I am relying on him to provide me with something to blog about if the rest of the site is quiet (which it undoubtedly will be).

That's all for this post. I'm off to bed now. Even though the nights are quiet, they take longer to pass and ultimately leave you feeling drained at the end of each shift.

Until the next time, keep the noise down please. . .

No comments: