Monday 27 August 2007

Bank Holiday Bonanza!

Well, what promised to be a challenging Bank Holiday weekend turned out to be no more than a gentle breeze on a Summer's day. Not that anyone in the UK would know what a Summer's day is like, going on the past few months anyway.

Friday night was fairly busy, with the tent fields sitting at the almost full point and the caravan/motorhome pitches spaced out evenly, although not that busy. It sets us in good stead for the coming few weeks when all hell will be let loose and a crowd descends upon this sleepy little town all expecting a party.

I spoke to an Australian couple who had arrived late and realised that the gate was closed and that they couldn't get in. They had a tent, but they would have preferred to sleep in the car, as pitching a tent in the rain wasn't something that they were used to. When I told them that this wasn't possible, they informed me that they would go to another campsite where the gate was closed and try to gain access there. I, personally, don't see the logic behind that thinking, but if that's what they want to do, I'm not going to stop them.

The crowd which I spoke to the previous evening had been spoken to earlier in the day by Alex, and he was told they wouldn't make a sound on Saturday night. I'm pleased to say that they stuck by their word. When their neighbours came back from the pub, Archie spoke to them and one of them squared up to him and told him, in broken English, that they weren't making a noise and told him where to stick his silence policy. I think Archie felt a little intimidated by them, as he didn't speak to them again for the remainder of the evening.

Sunday, however, was a different case altogether. One group, who Archie spoke to and told them to turn their radio off, decided to talk amongst themselves whilst drinking into the small hours of the morning. I decided to join Archie, after a short coffee break, to see how they were. It came as no surprise to us both, that when we walked up to that particular field they were still making a noise and they had decided to switch the radio back on. Archie went over to talk to them as the two females headed in my direction. One of them remarked how unhappy I looked at my job. I told them I was only unhappy with them as they were the only people on the site who were intent on making a noise. I also gave them a five minute warning from the moment they set foot back in their tent, otherwise they would be leaving the site.

A short walk around the park revealed that all was quiet, so it was back up to the four "twenty-somethings" only to discover that they were still talking, loudly. I walked over to their tent and gave them two minutes to quieten down otherwise they would be leaving the site. I waited close by to keep my eye on them, and to ensure that the noise levels were not breached.

After the two minutes had elapsed, I gave them one final ultimatum. Complete silence or leave the park. Naturally, because of the amount of alcohol they had consumed, they put up a bit of resistance and we had a short discussion to the point where I told them that the Police would be called if I didn't have complete silence. I stood next to their tent, with the torch off, listening to the conversation. I only do this for one reason, to hear the wondrous phrase "Let's call it a night and go to bed now." Unfortunately in this case it did not materialise. They did say,

"I wonder what would happen if they called the Police on us?"
"What if they do call the Police?"

At this point I shone the torch onto the tent and said,

"I'm sure that can be arranged."

One of the males laughed and responded with, "Good shout mate."

I waited around near the tent and approximately fifteen minutes later, they all went to bed.

After that, peacefulness reigned supreme across the entire site.

No comments: