Friday 17 August 2007

Nice 'n' Easy

Well, the past two nights have been pretty much fantastic. In fact, as nights go, they were ideal. Somehow I can't get the saying, "the calm before the storm," out of my head.

Wednesday night, I only had to speak to one group who had a candle/paper/wood barbecue on the go. I asked them nicely to put it out, as I walked off I noticed it was still burning. That wasn't a problem, as when I spoke to Alex before he left, he told me that he'd have a word with them. It was also on Wednesday that I noticed the gate chain wasn't there. As Archie was the last person to have it, I called him and sent him a text message. Both of which were greeted with no reply. When I asked Alex if he had the chain, he confirmed that he didn't and called Archie a 'fudd' for losing it/putting it in his locker. Luckily I had some rope in the car which I used to tie the gate closed. Nobody questioned it and nobody made any attempt to gain access to the park.

Thursday night, well, this was a bit of a strange one. Had a look round the 'office' for the chain, but to no avail. Luckily I still had the rope from the previous evening. So I roped off the gate and walked around the entire site. Twice. Nobody was making any noise. I didn't have to speak to anyone about excessive noise. It was sheer bliss.

I got to thinking, after about an hour, how I hadn't had any idiots driving around the park after hours. It must have been this thought that triggered an elderly couple to drive from one park to their caravan. A total distance of approximately 500 yards. I was about to approach the driver in question to remind him that vehicles weren't permitted to drive around unnecessarily after eleven o'clock. As I walked toward the caravan, I noticed that the male was urinating against next to his vehicle. The nearest toilet block is directly opposite where their caravan was pitched up, about 50 yards away, in fact. A lot less than the total distance he had just driven. I was completely baffled by the events which were unfolding in front of my very eyes, so I decided to walk around to try and come to terms with what had happened.

About ten minutes later, I heard another vehicle driving cautiously and quietly toward the exit. I spoke to them and the driver informed me that his wife was ill and he was taking her to the hospital. Either the Accident and Emergency department was quiet last night, or they were just nipping out to the all night garage for something, either way they were back within an hour.

I suppose that will teach me for thinking about cars driving around during the night.

No comments: