Saturday 20 October 2007

I'm a Night Warden NOT a Childminder

Well, last night was exceptional compared the previous few nights. Things happened and lots of them! So much so, that I didn't once think, "Hey, I could blog about this" instead I was thinking more along the lines of, "Why me?"

Alex radioed in fairly early into the shift and told me all I needed to know, including the fact he had been given his assurances by the group I spoke to last night that they wouldn't make any noise whatsoever (they stuck to their word) and the park was slightly busier.

I walked around the site checking on who I thought was going to cause problems. There was a few. As I was walking towards one of the toilet blocks, I noticed a light high up in the tree and a teenage male standing at the bottom. I shone the torch onto the light and saw the outline of a person.

"Right, down from the tree, NOW!"

I then walked over to the large group and asked them to quieten down and also to keep an eye on their children, who were running all over the park.

"How can we quieten down? We're only talking, this is a low as we can talk."

Now, I could hear them from some distance away, so I knew they were lying.

I went back to the task in hand and locked all the buildings up and locked the gate. I heard a vehicle starting up, but presumed it was outwith the park as it was after eleven. As I walked back to the gazebo that was making the noise, I noticed strong lights coming towards one of the entrances to the caravan fields, followed a short while later by a car. The car drove towards me and stopped,

"You've closed the gates, haven't you?"
"Yes. They're closed at eleven."
"Oh, can we get out?"
"Certainly, but you can't get back in again."
"That's fine."

I walked down towards the gates and opened them, the vehicle drove off and the gates were secured once again. While I was at the gates, I noticed two males unloading their car in the car park, so I went to speak to them. They wanted to pitch up for the night, so I happily showed them where to pitch and the general rules of the site. They were happy with this and I bid them 'good night'.

I then went up to one of the tent fields and noticed two young females cycling around between the tents without lights on. So I stopped them and told them to head back to their tent/caravan immediately.

I then went around checking the toilets, and came to one block and all the doors were closed. So, I had to open all the doors and check the toilets for damage, etc. I was about to go into the female toilets, when the same young girl I spoke to for cycling around with no lights on, popped her head out the door and quickly back in again. So I went up to the door, opened it and told them to head to their tent/caravan.

As I exited the toilet block, I heard a banging metallic noise coming from the closed reserved field. I know that it's currently closed, because the day staff are digging up pipes and replacing them. I walked over to the field and found the two tree-climbers playing around near the JCB. Again, I sent them to their tent/caravan. Which, luckily for me, was in the same direction as I was heading, so I knew where they were pitched for my report to Alex in the morning.

I then walked into one of the tent fields and noticed the three young females loitering behind the toilet block, so I went over to speak to them again. They obviously noticed the fluorescent jacket and scarpered. I walked around the front of the building and noticed the same girl poking her head around the side of the building, then quickly disappearing again. I went into the female toilets, via the staff entrance, and told them again to go back to their tent/caravan.

I followed them, at a distance, and found them loitering at the edge of the park on the footpath which most dog-walkers use. I decided that they had been told enough times and left them to it.

I went back to the children's parents and told them to quieten down or the manager would be called out. The party had halved since I last spoke to them, and it appeared it was only the sensible ones left. They apologised and did quieten down.

I heard a car pulling up at the gate, so I went to investigate. It was another two people wanting to book in for the night, so I put them next to the other two late arrivals.

It was at this point I noticed a motorhome parked at the gate, so I went down to speak to them. It was a large group of Germans, who seemed generally quite pleasant, so I pointed them in the direction of the public car park and told them to come back when the park opened in the morning. They thanked me, piled into the motorhome and left.

I walked around the park and back to the gate when I heard a vehicle pull in. As I walked down, I noticed a male urinating against the hedge. So when I spoke to them, I asked if they had booked in to which they replied with a negative. So I asked the urinator not to urinate against the hedge and sent them to join the Germans for the evening.

A short while later, a taxi pulled up and two males got out and immediately started talking loudly. So I asked them to quieten down and followed them, at a distance, to their tent. When I got there, I noticed both males urinating against the hedge. I pointed out the toilets/silence policy/car park (they had parked on the grass) and they went into their tent.

Ten minutes later, I heard loud voices from quite some distance away, so I hot-footed it up to the two males and asked them to quieten down or leave. Because they arrived late, they hadn't yet paid so if they continued to make a noise, Alex wouldn't hesitate to evict them from the site.

A quick lunch break, which was cut short when I heard a vehicle pull in just before four.

I spoke to them and asked them to quieten down, they seemed OK, so I left them to it.

I then went to tidy up the toilet blocks, I managed one and was en route to the second when I heard the three males, who had just arrived back, talking loudly. I went over and spoke to them;

"Right, it's half four in the morning, I suggest you go to bed now."
"OK, we will."

Then one of them said something (I can't recall offhand what it was, but it was facetious) so I replied with;

"Do you want to pack up and leave now?"
"No, no, he's just joking."
"Well, I'm not."

I waited around outside the tent for about five minutes before leaving them to it.

I then went to the third toilet block to tidy up. All was well until I entered the showers. I was sweeping the female showers and they were fairly clean, until I opened one door and made a shocking discovery. Someone couldn't hold it in and decided to defecate on the shower floor. In the female showers.

I went to get the hose, which is kept for this type of job, to wash it down the drains. Now, for those of you who don't know, once fecal matter has been disturbed by an external force, the smell comes out. And what a smell that was. Even now, as I type this blog, the smell is caught in the back of my throat. I cleaned it to the best of my abilities, with the resources available, and locked the shower cubicle.

I opened everything back up again and went for a long coffee break.

Hopefully tonight won't hold any surprises for me.

4 comments:

cogidubnus said...

Unbelievable some people... incidentally the stray "outwith" gives away that you're a good scot.

Are you still north of the border?...bit chilly up there for camping this late in the season I'd have thought...in my case it'd be the teeth chattering rather than the punters!

Al said...

Don't you just love working with the general public?

Night Warden said...

The stray "outwith" in the postings comes from Alex, the Park Manager. He uses it a lot, and I've picked up on it.

Yes, Al. I love working with the general public!

James (UK) said...

Been meaning to catch up on your posts since getting pointed to the blog from Life on a Roll of Film, via Pizza Hut Team Member.

Does really make you wonder sometimes about people's mentality...

The best way I sum this up to people is, having watched that "Jamie's Kitchen" where Jamie Oliver was trying to get school dinners improved, I was struck by just how many "parents" (I use the term loosely there) seemed to have no idea how to cook themselves and / or come over as entirely "ignorant".

What I'm getting at is that there seems to now have been at least two or three generations like this, and I'm sure it's what has led to this epidemic of "hoodies" and general lack of respect from younger people / kids.

When the parents are virtually as bad / "couldn't care less" as their children, what can you do?!

And I'm 35 by the way, not that old! ;-)

(I mean I'm not going to start talking about the war, rationing, or plan my next trip to the post office (for many different and complicated services) for everyone else's lunch hours.... )

;-)